Anyone that knows me or follows me on Instagram will see two constants in my life. Hanging trackside with Kurt, and enjoying a peaceful time next to a body of water. I’ve always loved the ocean and all the blissful therapy that comes with enjoying one of the most powerful forces of mother nature. It’s one of the reasons I own so many swimsuits and felt compelled to create my own. I love the water, and I cherish anytime I get to spend near it.
Unfortunately, our oceans and other bodies of water haven’t been treated with the respect they deserve for some time now. They are in danger of losing species and ecosystems that are critical to climate regulation and so much more.
The mission for Monarch Reign was always to incorporate my love and desire to help reduce the harm happening to our oceans. I’m so proud to announce that the journey now has a new partner.
Monarch Reign is partnering with the Charlotte Chapter of the Surfrider Foundation. Their mission aligns perfectly with my passion for being active in the fight to clean our waters. They are a powerful activist organization that works hard in their local areas to bring awareness, education, and action to improve the purity of the world’s oceans.
Monarch Reign will donate 10% of its profits directly to the Charlotte chapter of the Surfrider Foundation. While I’ll be working directly with this local chapter, they have 81 chapters throughout the United States, so find your local chapter to get involved.
Here are 10 ways that they’ve shared on their website to help reduce the use of harmful plastics.
- Choose to reuse when it comes to shopping for bags and bottled water. Cloth bags and metal or reusable glass bottles are available locally at great prices.
- Refuse single-serving packaging, excess packaging, straws, and other ‘disposable’ plastics. Carry reusable utensils in your purse, backpack, or car to use at bbq’s, potlucks, or take-out restaurants.
- Reduce everyday plastics such as sandwich bags and juice cartons by replacing them with a reusable lunch bag/box that includes a thermos.
- Bring your to-go mug with you to the coffee shops, smoothie shops, or restaurants that let you use them.
- Go digital! No need for plastic cds & dvds when you can buy your music and videos online.
- Seek out alternatives to the plastic items that you rely on using.
- Recycle. If you must use plastic, try to choose #1 (PETE) or #2 (HDPE), which are the most commonly recycled plastics. Avoid plastic bags, and polystyrene foam as both typically have very low recycling rates.
- Volunteer at one of SurfRider's local cleanups.
- Support plastic bag bans, polystyrene foam bans, and bottle recycling bills.
- Spread the word. Talk to your family and friends about why it is important to Rise Above Plastics!
As Monarch Reign’s journey continues, I hope to continue to find ways to give back and protect our natural resources and be an advocate to spread awareness. Mother Nature deserves the very best.